This week went up to Solvang for a little family vacation. It was a great week. It started very early Monday morning, packing the car so we could leave before 5:30 to beat traffic. Dave said that next time he would have slow morning eat breakfast and then leave. But for me, it was part of the adventure, leaving before the sun came up. I fed Lucy before we left, so she slept. Seth woke up when we put him in the car but he sat and chatted with us and was really happy. Dave decided that we would take the scenic route so we took the 1 to Oxnard where we hit the 101 and then we took that the rest of the way.
We took it very slowly. We stopped in Malibu so I could feed Lucy, and for a potty break. We surprised Seth by borrowing a DVD player for him to watch movies while we were driving. So we got that out for him at that first stop. Dave had been thinking that we would eat lunch in Ventura at the Habit...but we got there at like 9:30, and we weren't really ready to eat so we did not stop. We drove around and he showed me where he worked when SSC had a job up there, instead. About an hour later we were ready to eat so we stopped at a little coffee shop next to beach and had breakfast. Seth and I shared some of the best French Toast I have ever had. After we ate we walked around the little center and found this great interior design store. Then it was back to driving.
We had decided on the 101 for the view, unfortunately it was overcast and foggy for pretty much the whole way. But we did stop a couple of times for Dave to take pictures. We got to the to the hotel at about noon. So we checked in then went down stairs and had lunch. Afterwards we just hung out in the room while I put Lucy down to sleep. I was resting on the bed just about to doze off when Dave asked me to take an envelop upstairs for him, and when I got up there, he had set up a massage for me. It was a great surprise. After that we went to dinner. Before we left I had cashed in a bunch of change at Coinstar and gotten some certificates from Restaurants.com. Well we found the restaurants...and all three that we had certificates for were closed. So we found a place that was open...it was a little Italian place, and afterward we walked across the way can got gelato, yummy.
The next day we drove up to Marro Bay. Again it was overcast on the drive. Which was a real bummer. We stopped at Pismo Beach to take pictures, I did not even get out of the car cause it was too cold. We got to Marro Bay and ate lunch...it was not good. After that we walked around all the little tourist shops. It was so much fun to have no agenda and just be together.
After Marro Bay, we drove up to Herst Castle. That was AMAZING!! We did the tour of the bottom floors. OH WOW...that place is crazy, I can't imagine living there.
Seth did great the whole day. I brought the carrier for Lucy, so Seth could ride in the stroller if he needed to, so that meant that he could nap. Which he did while we walked around Marro Bay. On the Herst Castle tour, he did great. There are over a hundred stairs that you have to go up to get to the house, so the stroller was not allowed up with us, so Sethy had to walk. But he did great, he did not touch anything or run around. I was so proud of him.
It was late when we got back so we just got room service. Seth loved it cause he got to eat on his bed.
The next day we walked around Solvang. We found a shop that sold spinning wheels...spinning wheels! I have always wanted to learn to spin...that this store sold the wool and dye and everything...as well as some BEAUTIFUL yarn. I really want to get some, but I was not going to pay $30 for a skein.
We used one of the Restaurant.com certificate for Lunch...the place was not good. In fact I almost told Dave we should just leave, as soon as we sat down.
Afterward we went into one of the danish bakeries...SO GOOD!!!!! That made up for the bad lunch.
Then we went wine tasting at one of the local wineries. That was great. We came home with 3 bottles of wine, that I can not wait to drink.
So, I am sitting here trying to stay away, I am going to finish writing about the trip tomorrow.
Thank you. Thank you for writing. Thank you for having such a great family. Thank you for sharing all this with all of us.
ReplyDeleteI LOVE YOU