My Brother got married yesterday. The day was lovely and special and long and busy and beautiful and sad. I am not sad that he is married, I am so happy for him. I am happy that he and Jesse opened their eyes to see how perfect for each other they are, and I am happy that he has someone to love who loves him back with the same intentionality that loves with.
I am sad for the change, for how our relationship is never going to be the same. I know that it already changed when I got married...I just did not feel the change then. I realized a few months ago...before they got engaged even, that Ed had been through this process when I got married, and I was clueless to it. Ok, maybe not clueless,but I really did not get how it felt to him for me to have a new #1 guy in my life. And I guess that is what I am really mourning...the loss of position in Ed's life. Jesse is now his #1, and she should be, but I am going to miss being so close to him.
And I know that Erica is feeling the same thing X2 right now, cause she is being shifted around in both Ed and Jesse's lives. And what I really am finding that wanted, but can't have now is some sort of closer. A last _______ with Ed, something to mark the fact that we are never going to be the same. A few months before I got married, he and I went to a Sigur Ros concert as a last date. Looking back, it helped me mark the shift from him being my "go to" for things to Dave being my "go to". I don't know what it meant for him...but I guess I kinda wanted something along those lines...or maybe just a conversation. But I just feel forgot about and left out.
And I know that he has been super busy, and I have been super busy, and that this is how life grows and changes and it is good. But I miss my brother.
That's so hard, Beth. I think it affects big sisters in a different way, although not necessarily a harder or easier way. We've just felt responsible and protective for our little brothers for so long, and now it's someone else's job. Anyway. Thinking about you. Praying that this time of transition is a quick one, and that your relationship with Jesse begins to feel like a bigger gain than a loss of your brother.
ReplyDeleteThanks Alanna! Loving the pictures you are posting of your boy.
ReplyDelete