Sunday, November 16, 2014

Notes from Marriage Talk

About a month ago, our Ladies' ministry did a "tedtalks" style event.  (Several speakers giving 15 min talks with breakout interaction time after).  The theme for the whole morning was Applying the Gospel to our Whole Lives.  So the morning started with Rynelle taking about what the Gospel is and why we need to continually apply it to our lives.  After that we broke in groups to focus on different areas of our lives,  1st session the choice was Marriage or Singleness.  2nd session was Parenting, Friendship, or Busyness of Life.

I as was asked to talk about Marriage.  It was exciting and daunting at the same time.  I thought I would post my notes here.  I write them out word for word, so this is pretty close to what I shared that morning.  Enjoy!


Hi everyone let me start by saying that I feel privileged and excited to be sharing with all of you this morning.  When Jaq first asked me to share on Marriage and the Gospel, I was a bit overwhelmed at the bigness of the subject.  So my prayer for the morning has been that I disappear and that you all are able to see a bigger, clearer picture of Jesus and his plan for marriage.
Rynelle just shared with us a beautiful intro into not only what the Gospel is, but the power it has when we apply it to all areas of our lives. 
I would like to start by taking the grid “Creation, Fall, Redemption” and applying it to marriage.
1.       Creation: Gen 1:26-28a – “And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creeps upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: ….” Gen 2 tells the story with more detail, but these verses show us that God’s original intent was that men and women were to be two pieces of a puzzle that together make a complete image.  Man and woman were partners in the task that God had given them; they were in complete unity with God and each other.
2.       Fall: In Gen 3, Adam and Eve disobey God, sin enters the world and the result is seen in the curse that God Speaks in vs 16-19.  Where there had been unity and peace, there was is now strife and contention. Instead of being partners, men and women are often pitted against each other. Relationship was broken between God and Mankind, and between men and women.
3.       Redemption: Thru Christ and the Cross we are redeemed from the cruse – Gal 3:31 “Christ redeemed us from the curse of the law by becoming a curse for us, for it is written ‘Cursed is everyone who is hung on a tree.’” And in Christ we are made new – 2 Corin 5:17 “Therefore, if anyone is in Christ, he is a new creation; the old has gone, the new has come!” Because of our redemption in Christ, we and our relationships are able to be transformed and restored to God’s perfect intention.

SOOO—What is God’s intent for marriage?  How are we supposed to live it out?  What does it look like? That is what I would like to talk about for the rest of my time.
In Marriage both sides are called to put the other’s good first, Philip 2: 3-8 puts it this way: “Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider other better than yourselves. Each of you should look not only to your own interests, but also to the interests of others.  Your attitude should be the same as that of Christ Jesus: Who, being in very nature God, did not consider equality with God something to be grasped, but made himself nothing, taking the very nature of a servant, being made in human likeness. And being found in appearance as a man, he humbled himself and became obedient to death – even death on a cross!”
This is the core of a Gospel centered marriage.  One quick example of putting others’ interests first from my own life, is Dave and Crossfit.  Because of how his work schedule has been for the last year or so, he can only work out after work, so that means he is home after 6:30 3-4 times a week, and each day is different.  When this started, and I realized that it meant I would be making dinner and feeding the kids on my own most nights, I had to let a lot of stuff go.  I know that his working out would benefit him and in the long run our whole family, so I let go of my “right” to help at night.  I purposed that I would make it easy for him to work out and would encourage it as much as I could.  It is hard and it sucks some days, but this is one area where I can put him first. And that what this passage is talking about, and it applies to big and little things.
I am sure that all of us have heard sermons around the New Testament passages on marriage, or at the very least we have read them ourselves.  So I am not going to read them now, I am just going to give you the references so you can read them on your own later if you want: Col 3:18-19; 1 Peter 3:1, 7; Eph 5:22, 25…
Pulling the instructions for husbands and wives out of each passage we see:
Husbands are told to love their wives, to lay down their lives, to not be harsh with them, to be considerate, and treat their wives with respect as partners and co-heirs.
Wives are told to submit. I know that is a curse word to many of you and in our culture it is a big NO NO, for sure.  If we had the time, I would love to spend more time talking about submission, but let me just say, submission as the bible talks about it, is not about being forced to do something. But rather, it means looking at the cost, and choosing to lay down your rights, because you trust God and because of that trust you choose to trust the authorities He has places over you.
In the culture that the Apostles were speaking into, marriage was not the same as it is today.  Men, as the head of the house hold had complete control over everyone in the household, even to the point of being able to point someone to death. Women, more often than not, had no say in who they married. They were passed from their father’s home to their husband’s home often as part of a financial or political contract. So the instructions that Paul and Peter gave both sides – the husband and the wife -- were very counter-culture. Men were not to see their wives as property, but to love them to the point of being willing to die for them. Women, who up to this point had had to say in their own lives, were to engage their wills and choose to follow their husbands. 
The Gospel calls us to marriages that are radical in the eyes of our modern culture as well.  Our culture says that marriage is about finding your soul mate & therefore personal fulfillment; or that marriage is a stable environment for raising children, or maybe it is about the practical tax and financial benefits.  But Gospel centered marriages are to be so much more. Not just in the fact that we are called to live selfless lives thru marriage, but marriage itself is to point to something bigger.  Let’s go back to Eph 5:22-32 Paul not only gives instructions for marriage, but uses it as a picture for Christ and the Church. To Paul, marriage was an Icon of how Christ loves his church.  In evangelical tradition, we don’t use religious icons, so you may not be familiar with the terminology, but Icons are anything that in their simplicity, point to a bigger idea or truth.  Something that plays the role in our everyday lives, are product logos.  If I were to show you the Apple logo, it would bring to mind Apple’s products, and the “lifestyle” that Apple used to promote its products.  What an icon is (in this case a piece of fruit), is not as important as what it reminds us of (cool phones and computers).  In the same way, the day to day details of our marriages—kids or no kids; one income vs. two; SAHM vs SAMD—are not as important as whether our choices come from hearts that are humble and seeking each other’s best interests.

Our marriages are not called to be just shinier versions of the culture around us. We are called to marriages that are a sign post that point people to Jesus, his love and sacrifice, and call them to respond with a life laid down. I know that even as I am saying this, some of you are thinking that it is fine for me or any of the elders wives, because their husbands are doing their part, so it is easy for you.  But regardless of where our husbands are at, we are each responsible to obey Christ for ourselves.  And we can’t do this on our own – it is not about trying harder, it is about each of us going back Jesus daily, to ask him show you the places in your heart where you need to change and for answers to our questions and power to walk those things out.  Only then will our humility, service, care and sacrifice become a beautiful picture, an Icon of Christ and the Church.

No comments:

Post a Comment